Tuesday, November 10, 2009

SYDNEY/ day three

****Just a little note here... I will be posting the pictures that accompany this story- most likely the next post, because of technical issues. (FYI, it probably has something to do with my non-technical issues). If you read the post now, then when I put the pictures on, you'll already know what's going on! AND, for all you who have been asking, there WILL be at least one photo of me - on the bridge, no less!****

Three days is Sydney, Australia is just too, too short. I had too much to squeeze in, so I picked a couple of things that I didn't get to do on my last visit.
One of the places I wanted to see was the famous Bondi (pronounced bonn-die) Beach. I'm sure most of you have heard of this well known Sydney beach, and in real life it rose to it's reputation, but I am getting ahead of myself.
I made sure I got up early and grabbed everything I needed for the first part of the day. It was 'somewhat' warm, but had been sprinkling just a tiny bit.I really wasn't sure how the weather and water were going to be one I got to Bondi, so I just packed a swimsuit, pareo and towel - just in case.
I had set a up a meeting time with my friend Jonny, who rode the train in from his suburb. The ship is docked pretty much where trains, busses and ferries have their central location (called Circular Quay), so it was just a short walk for me. Once we met up, I got my ticket for the Bondi bus (Jonny already had his pass) and we headed through town to the beach. We got to visit along the way (it was less than thirty minutes) and I was able to see parts of Sydney and it's suburbs. It is such a cosmopolitan place - Sydney and Australia for that matter) - so many ethnic restaurants and multi-cultured people. It is a fascinating place, to say the least.
Anyway, we got to the beach, and it was beautiful and sunny. And not TOO many people, although there were plenty. It's spring here-kids still in school and definitely not what you would call hot. Jonny told me that in the summer it would be wall to wall people. The beach itself was maybe a mile (or a little less) long and EXTREMELY wide/deep. The sand was white and oh-so-soft. There was a sand zamboni - well, really a tractor thing, that was smoothing out the sand, so some of the places we walked didn't have any footprints on them yet.
There happened to be a group of cheerleaders practicing in the soft sand. It seemed like a good idea to me, because when they dropped the girls when then they were doing lifts, they had a nice soft landing.We headed toward the water to see how warm it was so we could decide if it was worth changing into our swimsuits. Well, the answer was 'no', the water was just too cold! I guess I should have figured it out by the fact that only one guy was in the water, besides some stalwart surfers - wearing wetsuits, and the lifeguards who were doing drills with their boards. It was okay though, we just walked along and took some pictures. The beach is flanked on both sides by rocky (smallish) cliffs, all built up with condos, etc. There was a nice beachwalk on both ends that would wind you around the cliffs and take you to more small beaches, both north and south of Bondi. It was a wonderful place.
We didn't end up staying too long because I was anticipating my next Sydney experience (and you could say I was saving the best for last). Yes, I am going to climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Hang on a minute and I will tell you ALL about it...
Once we got back to Circular Quay, Jonny and I walked over to the ship and I went and dropped off my stuff, changed into different clothes and shoes, grabbed a quick snack and met back up with Jonny. We walked through an area know as 'the Rocks'. It happens to be the spot that the first British settlers landed at and built up. The ship is actually parked directly adjacent to the Rocks, which is right before the bridge.
I was a bit nervous and excited for the whole thing, wishing Jonny was going with me, but after we explored the area a bit, it was time for me to check into the 'bridge experience' but I quickly decided to buy a shirt, since I figured I may not have a chance to do it after the climb because I had to be back on the ship in time (remember Cairns?). Jonny and I said our good-byes and I checked in to the 'experience'.
Our group was sent to an area where there was a video playing, basically showing us what we will be doing for the next three or so hours. A guy opened a door and called the group with 1335 on their tickets (that would be 1:35pm to most of you) and our group filed in. The excitement was contagious as our group was brought to an area where we were given instructions on what we were doing and handed a not-so-flattering jumpsuit to wear. Since it was a warm day, we were advised to strip down to our undies before we put the suit on, otherwise we may burn up. We had a changing area, then were shown where our lockers were to stash all of our stuff. The key was on a lanyard that we put around our neck and tucked into the back-zippered sexy jumpsuit.
We had to remove loose jewelry, watches and spit out our gum. If we had glasses or sunglasses, a strap was hooked to the back of our jumpsuit and attached to the glasses. We were also given a baseball cap (that was also attached to our suit) and a handkerchief on an elastic band that went on our wrist and was wound around and tucked in (in case we got emotional or a bird pooped on us!).
We met our guide, Craig, and then the group introduced ourselves to each other and told where we were from and why we were climbing the bridge. Group 1335 consisted of two guys from Germany, three guys from England, a couple from Perth, a couple plus a dad and (about) eleven year old son from Melbourne, a young adult from Sydney (he got the bridge climb as a birthday gift) and me, the lone American. TK couldn't go (although I tried my best to get her to be able to go on the climb).
The whole bunch of us got together for a group hug before we went to the simulator area. More details were explained about the climb and we were each given a 'utility belt' that went over our head, pulled tight around the waist and had a heavy attachement that was to be our cable lifeline hookup.
Then we had a chance to try out a ladder structure that resembled the one we would be climbing, which we attached our lifeline to. After we handled that exercise, we were fitted with a radio headset, so we could listen to our climb leader as we headed up the bridge.
In our line, I was between the Perth couple and the Germans, with the birthday boy at the rear. Dad and son were in the front, followed by the Brits, then Melbourne couple. (Both couples were in their early twenties as well as the British boys, The Germans were a bit older, but I was definitely the 'mom' of the gang).
The walk started on a catwalk that was under the bridge. We had some tight places we had to squeeze around and duck under and climb over before we got to the four straight up ladders (with twenty steps each) that took us to the top span. As we got to the top (which was basically the bottom of the arch), we were quite close to the eight lanes of traffic whizzing by - and the train tracks.
Just being on that first part was awesome - the view was incredible - with the sun shining on the harbor and all the sights unfolding before our eyes. As we climbed higher and higher, our guide gave us lots of trivia and information (in his cute Aussie accent) that made the trek a lot of fun.
I was so excited the whole way up, and Craig took the time to take a few pictures as we stopped along the way to take in the view.Since we were in the same order the whole time, I didn't get to know everybody, the the people near me were all very nice. We talked and laughed, and both the Brits and I (you know, the lone Yank) were the butts of a few jokes. They were all in good fun and I was actually really glad to get all the trivia about the bridge and other landmarks and history of Australia and Sydney.
Once we were at the very top, we had a group photo taken and got to spend some time absorbing the whole scene. The way the climb is set up, we then cross over the top on a catwalk and proceed to walk down the opposite side. (Just so you know what I mean, we walk up on the right side, where the cars are running underneath, then cross over and head back down - this is all what may be considered the south side of the bridge-, then this time over the rail tracks).
On this side we have a view looking more or less west, toward the unfurling hills, dotted with homes and buildings.
The harbor is really so amazing. So many inlets as well as a river that continues inland. This is a place where lots and lots of people can have a water view. I think that's one thing that makes Sydney so popular - and basically why is was built up in the first place.
It started getting a bit windy and since the sun was starting to lower in the sky, as well as a few clouds here and there, a couple of times I started to get a little cold. We continued the trek down, then came to the ladders that took us down under the traffic to the catwalk that wound us around back to our starting point.
Once we got back, we did everything in reverse, dropping off hats and handkerchiefs, taking our headsets and utility belts off, then heading back to our lockers to get our street clothes out to change.
After dropping our jumpsuits in a chute, the group got together to receive their certificates and group photos. They also had an area where we could look at the (digital) pictures that Craig took and buy any of them that we wanted. (We, of course, were not able to take our own cameras, but I think it's great the way it was set up anyway). I bought the ones I wanted, got Craig to pose for a picture with TK and headed back to the ship.
I just want to say this about the 'Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb Experience'...it was really and truly one of the ose once-in-a-lifetime memorable experiences. I will never forget it! It was absolutely AWESOME!
It is an 'experience though, so my best advice is this: go to Sydney and experience it yourself!
I walked back to the ship (less than ten minutes), feeling exhilerated and happy that I accomplished the exciting feat. And I even got on the ship TWENTY minutes before the time I was supposed to be on by!I headed up to deck eight to listen to the band play the 'sail-away' music and take pictures as the ship slipped out of its berth and headed out toward the ocean. There were SO MANY boats. The little ones, including kayaks, seemed pretty brave to be so close to the cruise ship. It was almost as spectacular cruising out of the harbor as cruising in, and it was bittersweet.
Such an awesome place, great memories - wishing we had more time here - but, moving on to our next exciting ports of call keeps one wondering just what is around the corner!

TINY KONA'S TRUISM of the Day...could Sydney be the world's top city? Fair Dinkum!

No comments:

Post a Comment