Sunday, November 1, 2009

SYDNEY PT 1

Good Morning- we've arrived in Sydney! We woke up early to enjoy the drive into the harbor, one of the most spectacular in the whole wide world! So much history here in Australia. As you know, it started as a penal colony (get your minds out of the gutter-we're talking prisons).
The British were trying to get people to come here willingly, but pretty much ended up getting people here whether they wanted to or not. After a bit more than two hundred years, this country has really made something of itself, thanks to the tenacity of the people and the resources that they had to work with. Let's talk about the harbor first.
Interestingly enough, when Capt. Cook was on his voyage of discovery, sailing up the east coast of 'New Holland'-the original name of Australia, he didn't explore 'Port Jackson' (the name he gave it). He spent a number of days at 'Botany Bay', just south, but didn't venture into the awesome natural harbor that eventually became Sydney. The harbor is kind of hidden, the way it zigs and zags and has numerous 'fingers' jutting here and there, along with a few islands.
Here are some pictures with details about the drive in.
I have been able to say that I have visited Sydney before, and only had fond feelings for it, and I know I've exclaimed at least once or twice, that I think it's the best city in the world!
The ferry took about ten minutes or so to get across the harbor. After getting off the boat, I walked up some stairs and got on the sky ride that took me up the hill and over the zoo. Awesome views and it was so cool gliding over some of the animal exhibits. As I noticed the steepness of the hill, I decided I would start at the top where I got off the sky ride and wind my way down the hill, looking at all the animals, then just get back on the ferry.
Best laid plans... There were so many hills, it's really amazing how they made this whole piece of land work out for a zoo. (It was the original quarantine station for the area.) I decided, after walking back and forth, going up steps and steep inclines, that I was going to get my workout today after all! At this point, I will let the pictures tell the story.


As we turn the corner coming into the harbor, the awesome sights of Sydney start to unfold.


The clouds looked beautiful early in the morning.




Iconic Sydney, with it's opera house and bridge (which I will be scaling in a couple of days!).




Awesome view from my perch on the ninth deck of the Amsterdam!






Early morning sun casts a beautiful shadow as we are sliding up to our berth.





We are parked at 'Circular Quay', the busy, busy hub of activity - including Aboriginal artists.




From the deck of the ferry. There are many ferries since there's so much water around.




The bridge from my point of view on the top deck of the ferry.




This is a fort, built way back in the 1800's (I think...)





I'm heading to the zoo...what do you think I'm gonna see





I took the sky ride tram up to the top of the zoo and we glided right over the elephants!





How cool is THAT?!






CRIKEY! I think he was about fifteen feet long! And those teeth! Yikes.





Penguins of every size. TK likes the little ones, and guess where they come from - you guessed it, right here in Australia.


There he goes! So dang cute and only about a foot tall.



Aw, look at the baby! Check out the sky tram gliding by.







This gorilla thinks TK is just as cute as it's own baby.






It's a kangaroo! TK wanted to climb in the pouch.






One word. EMU







Pygmie Hippo.





Here's your koala!






It just couldn't be any cuter!!





Tiny Kona found a willing Kangaroo pouch to climb into!









Here is where I start having difficulties getting my photos off my camera - dang it! I will post this piece for now and add more later.
We spent about three days in Sydney, so this is just the beginning!
TINY KONA'S TRUSIM of the Day...A pouch is one sweet place to hang out











1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favorite post yet mom! It looks like so much fun and I'm sure the weather down under is perfect right now!! Keep the posts coming:)

    ReplyDelete