Friday, October 16, 2009

MOOREA












































































































How can this tiny island, only twelve miles from Papeete, be like another world? I guess less people DO make a diiference, but I think there's more to it than that. We got to tender to the dock again, so it was fun for Tiny Kona and I to start our journey to this beautiful place with an awesome view as we 'drove' up. Moorea is (another) volcanic island. This one is unique because half of the island either blew off when the volcano erupted, or it just eroded away, no one knows for sure (TK says it happened quite a while ago - even the oldsters on the ship weren't around when it happened). The shape of the island is described as either heart-shaped or likened to a butterfly. Either way it is atypical with its two bays and large peaks. I hope everyone who isn't familiar with the islands I'm describing, google them for more info. I would add links for you, but the internet reception is so slow (which makes it even MORE expensive for me).
Anyway, I digress. Back to the lush and sleepy island of Moorea. Dancers greeted us as we got off the tenders and there were some small craft booths set up for our shopping pleasure. Right next to that area was the 'octagon' church. It was actually quite amazing, with this HUGE arched ceiling. The picture doesn't do it justice! The Polynesians love their churches and on Sundays they fill the aisles and singing spills out the open windows and doors (TK used the opportunity to give thanks).
I decided I was going to the beach today. I have been missing my beach time in Maui, so it seemed appropriate, especially after my busy Papeete day. I started walking toward one of the hotels, being told it was about 2 or 3 kilometers. There were cute little houses and SO many flowers and plants. I had to stop and take some pictures of the rusted out construction equipment, covered with vines, that was sitting along the road. It was such a picturesque sight, I couldn't pass it up. It kind of tell you how slow life is on Moorea. I also just had to take a picture of the coconut cemetary, there were innumerable coconuts left to die there! TK thought it was abit wasteful...
Soon after, a taxi driver asked if I wanted a ride, but I refused (he was heading the other direction). A few minutes later he came by again (going my way this time) and told me it was a 5 MILE walk to the beach (is the island EVEN that big?!). I wasn't sure if I could trust him, but I got a good look and realized I could flatten the dude with one good punch (plus he was at least sixty), so I hopped in the car and made him a deal. I told him to pick me up at 2 (this was about 9:30 or so) and I would pay him 1000 francs (about $10) when he gave me a ride back to the ship. About a minute later we went past the hotel I was walking to, but he took me to a different place that he said was better. It was very nice and TK and I enjoyed a wonderful day in the surf and sand.As you can see in all of the pictures, we enjoyed the 'Frenchness' of the island, and all the beachy things that surrounded us. There were 'motus', which are very small islands, all around the outer reef. I took photos in all directions, sorry if the sun is bright in some of them. We had a great time sunning, reading, swimming and napping, then met up with the taxi dude and headed back to the ship, but not before I took pictures of more of the flora I walked past. I like how resourceful they are with coconut husks! And speaking of resourceful, don't you just LOVE the bus?! It was a heavenly day.
TINY KONA'S TRUISM of the day... Moorea has more colors than a 64 count crayola box











No comments:

Post a Comment