Friday, October 16, 2009

Bora Bora...







the island so nice they named it twice...

As if Tahiti and Moorea weren't wonderful enough, the anticipation of going to Bora Bora made me a little dizzy. I have heard how this happened to be described as the most beautiful island in the world. I had seen scores of pictures and had thouroughly studied the island and it's multi-hued lagoons and numerous motus (tiny islands) for as long as I can remember. I have to admit, that it wasn't a letdown, as a matter of fact, seeing it in person was almost more than my senses could handle! You MUST google the island (especially if you are unfamilar with it) just to get where I am coming from. And I have to tell you, just like Hawaii, the pictures can hardly do it justice, since there's a feeling there that only enhances the visual beauty.


The ship glided into the lagoon early on Sunday morning and the beauty unfolded right before my eyes. The squarish Mount Otemanu was somehow a little tombstone looking, but the whole view was something I couldn't believe I was finally seeing with my own eyes! It was a sunny day, with usual clouds here and there. Bora Bora is a 'tender' port, so we were up and dressed in our church clothes early so we could catch the first tender. Get settled, because this is a LONG post - SO many things to tell you and a plethora of pictures! (It will probably end up being two or three posts now that I think about it!).

If you know me at all, you surely know that I find connections all over the world (remember Papeete, and the guy that knew someone I knew in Arizona?). If you don't know me very well, let's just say, after this post, you will get that I am some kind of 'magnet' for coincidental connections. (I think I will start a new blog about 6 degrees of separtion, except mine will be entitled 3 degrees of connection...) You may need to take notes, so get ready!


Since it was Sunday, we were sure we wanted to go to church, since so many Sundays we are at sea (and we don't even GET a Sunday next week when we cross the international dateline and lose a day!).


Because I knew we would be in Bora on a Sunday, I e-mailed Kyle's best pal Jonathan, to see if we could get some insight on the church building location and times. Jonathan (first connection) had served a mission in Tahiti and spend a number of months in Bora Bora, and I figured he could send me in the right direction at least. Well, he let me know that one of his missiona companions just happened to be the Bishop (congeragation head) there!

How lucky for us - but it get's even better. This guy's wife has excellent English speaking skills and she was going to meet us at the dock and give us a ride to church! The meeting started at 8 AM, and that's what time the tenders were supposed to start shuttling us back and forth, so we made sure we were on the first one. We actually got on land a few minutes before 8 and looked around hoping to connect with Mirihau. We didn't know what she looked like, but I was carrying a HUGE jar of Jelly Bellies (I actually had two). I think that is the international sign of 'I'm American, can you give me ride to church?'). {A little background, Jonathan asked me to bring his companion some Jelly Bellies, and I was only too willing to run all over Long Beach trying to find them! maybe I mentioned this story already...}

I do think mom and I were a little obvious in our church clothes, but a cute gal drives up and looks at us with at least some familiarity, and as we make eye contact, I hold up the (HUGE) jar of Jelly Bellies and get a big smile and a wave. We quickly meet up with the usual Polynesian affection, hop in the car and get to the church (maybe a five minute drive from the pier) and breeze in just a few minutes late.

I have to tell you that it was a sea of black hair and beautiful brown skin, smiling faces and singing that sounded like angels. The services were done in French, and I sang the familiar songs in English right along. The babies and kids were adorable and the spirit of the congregation permeated the building. As I sat there taking it all in, I look out the windows to the left, and just on the other side of the church were mangoes and papayas growing. Out the right window I could hear a rooster crowing as if singing in his own language to the hymns. The last portion of the meeting we got to hear a lesson spoken in Tahitian, which was really special.

After the meeting, we got to visit with the missionaries who were serving there - an Elder from Utah, Elder Harding (who just happened to know Jonathan from his missionary training-another connection!) and Elder Punu from Tahiti. As we were talking, I related the story of my Papeete temple visit and my ride to the ship by this guy named Arnold. So the Tahitian Elder asks me what his last name was, and I say 'Punu', and he says, 'that's my uncle!' (I hadn't caught this Elder's last name before I started telling the story) - connection #3(!). My response to that statement - are you ready?! - 'SHUT UP!!!' It's such a small world!

It was quite a memorable day at church, and everyone was so nice and friendly. There were a few sisters who interpreted things here and there for us. Such nice gals, all of them.Since Bishop had meetings, Mirihau and Saena (her friend who speaks English too, and, may I add, has a sister that knew Jonathan from his missionary days-dare I say ANOTHER connection?!), gave us a personal tour around the island (all nineteen miles of it!). We were able to stop and take pictures and gather in the pristine beauty of this tropical paradise. They related some ancient legends that helped us connect with their culture.

One place we got to check out was the famous 'Bloody Mary's'. It was closed since it was Sunday, but it was an open structure, so TK and I went to take a look around and get some pictures. Here's some fun info, instead of having a 'coat check', they have a 'shoe check' - since the entire floor is sand! It was very charming and I certainly didn't mind it being closed for our visit.

There are a couple of photos with TK pointing at something. One of them is a hole in the side of Mt. Otemanu, which is where a huge centipede legend exists. The other is a phallic looking rock, and we think it's better to just leave that one to your imaginations!

We stopped by a lady's house that had pareaus hanging EVERYWHERE. She makes them and they are beautiful. She had a table full of bite size pieces of fresh fruit and coconut. A very generous lady - and talented too! I think I might want to learn how to make pareaus like that and move to some tropical island and share my fruit with people! (Oh wait, I kinda already do that.)

We made our way around the island, taking pictures of various beaches and the motus. The overwater bungalows scattered all over the motus looked very inviting (although VERY expensive). I know the pictures look nice, but they really don't do this place justice!When we got back to Mirihau's house, Bishop was back from his meetings and getting ready to go to work. He drives the water shuttle that takes people from the main island to the airport, which happens to be on one of the larger motus. (There is a picture of him driving from the harbor after we got back on the ship.)

We got to visit a little while and he had his photo album out, with a number of pictures of he and Jonathan's missionary days. I just had to take a picture of him holding one of the pictures of his and Jonathan's 'young selves'. So precious! There are a few other pictures I took of Their little family (did I mention their little one year old daughter? Her English name is Rebecca, don't ask me her Tahitian name! She was in her carseat for our tour and was SUCH a good baby. She took a bit of a liking to Tiny Kona and TK was just as enamored with her!) I also took a picture of our AWESOME hostesses/tour guides, Mirihau and Saena.

Oh, and let me tell you about their ADORABLE house! It is right ON the water. The pictures were taken on their porch, and if you look close you can see the cruise ship behind them! What a gorgeous place! Thank you all for sharing, we didn't want to go!

Sitting on the ship the rest of the evening, looking out over the island, it's green jagged peaks, azure lagoon, numerous motus, island houses and so many boats, it was the perfect ending to our wonderful Sunday. Notice the picture of the rainbow of outrigger canoes that were drafting behind the tenders as they shuttled passengers back and forth between the ship and dock. I watched them for quite a while, and it looked rather fun!Since we got to spend the night in beautiful Bora Bora and have another day in paradise on Monday, and with all the connections everyone seems to have, we made plans for an 8AM meeting time...but I will have to write another post for that!

TINY KONA'S TRUISM of the day...One day is NOT enough in Bora Bora - I guess that's why it's name isn't just Bora.

No comments:

Post a Comment