Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Interview Time! MARIENUS HAZELMAN


I got to visit with 'Rienus' one recent afternoon, and when he told me where he was born, and lived, and a little about his life, well, TK just had to do a proper interview and share a little with you, my wonderful followers. Let me just say, Rienus was riveted by TK's awesome interviewing skills (watch out Barbara Walters!)


Tiny Kona: What do you do on this ship?

Rienus: I'm 3RD Officer - it has to do with the navigation of the ship.


TK: How long have you been sailing the ocean?

R: On this ship, the Amsterdam, since July, with Holland America for 2 years and 9 years total since I graduated from school. (Rienus went on to tell TK he had gotten a scholarship and had a great education and apprenticeship. He took to it all like a fish to water (pun intended) and at eighteen years old was assigned to a huge cargo ship out of Spain.)


TK: What was it that made you interested in the life of a sailor?

R: I wanted to travel, plus, my dad and grandpa were sailors. Since getting an education in the field, along with the time aboard ships, it's been a learning experience that unfolded the career in different directions-more than I expected. I like how my mind was expanded in the mental part, but also love the hands on part. Since sailing on yachts from the age of seven, I have spent a fair amount of time in the ocean.


TK: Where were you born?

R: In Port Vila, Vanuatu, moved to Fiji when I was a year old, then moved to Auckland, New Zealand.


TK :So that means you get to go home THREE times on this cruise! Have you been able to see family in any of the ports so far?

R: Both grandmas, three aunties, an uncle and four cousins were waiting for me in Suva (Fiji). I got to see the hospital where I was born, in Port Vila. I also have a sister in Brisbane, so I will be seeing her and her baby when we stop there next week. Of course, family will also be in Auckland in a couple of weeks, so I am looking forward to that.


TK: What is the furthest country you've been (from New Zealand)?

R: Denmark


TK: What place would you consider a favorite?

R: Thailand, Denmark (loved Copenhagen and areas of northern Denmark) and Bora Bora (TK lets out a sigh...)


TK: Are there any places you would like to visit?

R: I would love to go to St. Petersburg, and Northern Europe would be great. I would also love to visit Viet Nam.


TK: Sooooo, do you have a girl in every port?

R: I've got one in Auckland and one in Suva (pause) both with the last name Hazleman


TK: Are you saying you're some kind of polygaminst?!

R: No! I was referring to my mum and grandmum! (cheeky fella!)


(the bruddah*liciousness of Rienus is starting to make TK crazy so one last question)


TK: What is your cabin number?

R: (Gives TK stink eye, but then breaks in to his wide boyish grin)


TK: Just kidding, you're a little too old for me... Seriously, though, where do you see yourself in ten years?

R: Hopefully a Chief Officer (at the very least). (TK: this guy's ambitious!)


Reinus needed to get busy with work, so I thanked him for his time with TK and I and took a quick photo before he dashed away.I think he's probably one of the more interesting officers on the ship, but then again, the Captain is too busy for an interview...

No comments:

Post a Comment